Monday, April 6, 2009

Are you scared of oatmeal??

Hi my name is Hilary, and I suffer from oatmeal-aphobia.....I have come to you today to share a story of a love hate relationship coming together in a bowl. All my life I have hated oatmeal, sticky and gross and soooo not my kinda thing. Now don't ask why I did it, but the other day I bought a bag of oatmeal from the local bulk food store. I have been testing new and exciting things out for breakfast, and for some reason thought that buying oatmeal on this particular day would mean that it was possibly grown differently...taste differently...I don't know....I guess I was hoping that Kellogs had taken over the oameal industry and now every piece would be an Oatmeal Fruit Loop.

So....I put the boiling water over the oatmeal, having added crushed sugar sprinkles and hoped for the best. Well...... it was not the best and my new found relationship with oatmeal came to a screeching halt, however I was determined to make this work and decided to have a look at what others where doing to make their relationships work. I punched in google...."what to do when your breakfast sucks" and on the 30 thousandth page I saw my bowl of oatmeal....staring at me through that little picture, only it was not alone! Oatmeal! Have you been cheating on me all these years? Not telling me that there is something out there that makes you whole!? Well I clicked on the picture and there was my oatmeal, getting friendly with a packet of hot chocolate...and some stevia...and cinammon. I almost died....oatmeal and hot chocolate??????? You have got to be kidding me.....
Well.... I marched into the kitchen threw open the cupboards and grabbed the packages of hot chocolate, threw water on the stove and put a few heaping tablespoons of oatmeal into a bowl.
I swear...my life with oatmeal has forever changed, we have a loving relationship now that hot chocolate is around....I told stevia that three might be a crowd.....but cinnamon is allowed to join in sometimes.... ;)

Recipe!!!

4 tbsp oatmeal
1 pkg of hot chocolate
1 sprinkle of cinnamon

-Just enough boiling water to cover and then mix together!
mmmmmmm yummy!!

Cheers!
Hilary

5 comments:

Once Upon A Blue Crow April 6, 2009 at 3:28 PM  

Oatmeal is kinda scary to me too, but I can't imagine it would be too bad like this!

Anonymous April 7, 2009 at 4:13 AM  

i've also had a strange relationship with oatmeal...i'm the "remembering..." blogger you visited and i will confess that i regularly "don't remember why i don't like oatmeal".

there has been a regular annual event (for the past 20-25 years) where my boyfriend, lover, significant other, hubby...whoever i'm living with at the time...walks into the pantry and asks me why i buy so many different kinds of oatmeal???

what can i say...i'm a victim of advertisement and a wide-eye optimist who believes oatmeal and vegetarian breakfast sausage will someday taste good.

Hilary April 7, 2009 at 9:37 AM  

haha, yes that is so true...im also holding out for the vegetarian chicken soya strips to start tasting good.

Unknown April 7, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

HI, Thanks for your nice comment, just wanted to say i love your blog so cute... I have also had a love/ hate relationship with oatmeal, I hate it and i always try to love it. I finally found something that works too, rolled oats with brown sugar, apples and tons of whipped cream, tastes like candy apples!

Lola Marigold April 7, 2009 at 9:55 AM  

myself and oatmeal go back a long way, having a grainy relationship at best. Hot chocolate and Oatmeal...well that's just...just..indiscreet...